At the start of this task I looked at many different music magazines from different music genres and especially from the music genre in which I decided to focus my music magazine on. I looked at how these music magazine used the different media conventions and how this was used to target there specific audience. In my own music magazine which I created I used most of the conventions which would be used in a music magazine of the same genre as mine, this was done to make it look professional and relevant to my chosen genre. On my music magazine one of the conventions which I choose to use was having the large mast head at the top of the page. The reason for doing this was so that I wanted it to stand out the most on the front cover of the magazine; this again is so that it stands out from other magazines inside of a shop. Another reason in which I choose to have the mast head at the top of the page is so that it again follows the conventions of real music magazines. The font which I used on the cover and throughout my magazine is Impact, the reason for this is that it still keeps it looking modern but gives it and urban look with the straight edges. The effects which I have used on the mast head again keeps it looking urban with the inner white glow and the strikethrough.
Another very important convention which I followed from magazines was the date line and barcode, in most magazines the dateline is normally above the barcode so this is where I have decided to put it as well to follow the normal magazines conventions.
A magazine selling line is the sharp selling line which gives the reader more of insight to what that issue will be on and giving also giving a focus to that issue. This again when doing my research at the beginning of the task was another thing which I had realised was a convention which was widely used in a music magazine. The selling line also helps target the audience such as my selling line “The NEW HOT TALENT that are bringing back old skool beats”, this appeals to my audience that are into heavy hip hop beats and who are the new talents around at the time.
The next part of the music magazine task which we was asked to do was the contents page, my contents page as well follows the developed conventions which are used in the real music magazines. The contents page also has the other images which I have taken; many magazines on their contents page have other images of what else will be in the magazine. These images sometimes say whether the magazine will brought if the buyer thinks the magazine looks interesting enough by the images on the contents page. To give a sense of continuity and flow with the front cover I have always included photos that are of the main artist which have the main story and the front cover image.
I set out my contents page with categories which are set out vertically around the page; this has shown to be a very popular convention of setting out a magazine contents page. I followed normal conventions by placing my categories on one side of the page this makes it look more neat and easier to read.
Finally for the task we had to a double page spread; this again was done to follow the music magazines conventions. I decided to do a question and answer spread this was focussed on that the readers of my music magazine had sent in the questions. The set out of the double page spread is very simple with the shapes, which again is a convention of a question and answer double page spread. I used an image of the artist but I put it inside of the words “uncut and exposed”, the reason why I done this is because I wanted to carry on with my old skool and new skool them with the writing which looks slightly like the old RUN DMC font. As well as carrying on with my theme I also carried on with the same colour scheme for the double page spread.








No comments:
Post a Comment